Battle of Arnhem - A Bridge Too Far
Distance: 38 or 27 km
John Frost Bridge. Photo © Holland-Cycling.com
This route takes you to the major landmarks of the Battle of Arnhem in WWII. From the famous John Frost Bridge you follow the south banks of the river to the ferry of Driel. Via Doorwerth Castle you go to Heelsum where the paratroopers and gliders with military equipment landed at the beginning of the Battle of Arnhem. In Oosterbeek you can visit the Airborne Cemetery and Airborne Museum 'Hartenstein'. From here you follow more of less the same route John Frost and his men took into Arnhem.
Arnhem Airborne Cycle Route
|Distance:||38 km (2h30) or 27 km (1h50)|
|Type of route:||Day trip, round trip|
Arnhem train station
|GPS:||Download this route as a GPX file.|
Find out more:- For an overview of all of our must-do cycle routes, go to: Day trips.
- Also try our Nijmegen Cycle Route.
- Do you need to rent a bike? Find out how on our Bicycle rental page.
- For an overview of cycling holidays that include Arnhem, go to our Holidays section.
Other WWII related cycle routes:- Camp Westerbork Cycle Route - In the footsteps of Anne Frank
- Nijmegen Cycle Route - Exploring the head of the Rhine Delta
- Vlissingen Cycle Route - Exploring the Walcheren peninsula (south)